By Liam Dowd - November 5th, 2014
How Facebook is the powerhouse for referrals, consumer holiday season behaviour and the continued dominance of video marketing.
Facebook continues to drive referrals
- For most publishers, marketers and site owners, the five remaining social networks are forgettable sources of traffic. Collectively, they contributed 0.74% of overall traffic sites received last month, which is less than the number of visits Twitter alone sent.
- Over the past 13 months, StumbleUpon’s share of traffic peaked at 0.99%, in March 2014, and last month sunk to a low of 0.41%. Year-over-year, its share decreased 26.49% (a loss of 0.15 percentage points) down from 0.56%.
- Comparing September 2013 to September 2014, Reddit’s share went from 0.26% to 0.18%. Shrinking 30.56%, Reddit lost 0.08 percentage points.
- Google Plus may still live on. In fact, in the last year, it saw modest gains, increasing its share of traffic 57.02% (0.03 percentage points) to 0.07% last month, up from 0.04% during the same time last year.
- YouTube was the biggest loser. Shedding 87.27% of its weight (0.25 percentage points), it once claimed 5th place above Reddit but now ties for 7th with LinkedIn. In September 2013, YouTube drove 0.29% of overall traffic to sites. Last month, it only drove 0.04%.
- While LinkedIn has become a publishing powerhouse, it sends a comparatively low number of social referrals to sites across the web. In September 2014, LinkedIn accounted for 0.04% of overall traffic to sites, down 47.37% (0.03 percentage points) from the same time last year.
- Shareaholic said: “A quick glance at historical data tells us that over the past 13 months, both Facebook and Pinterest have demonstrated the powerful potential of their respective platforms to marketers, publishers and site owners.
- “Year-over-year, only 3 social networks (Facebook, Pinterest and Google Plus) saw their “share of traffic” grow. Each experienced at least a 50% bump in share of visits over the past 13 months. The remaining 5 (Twitter, StumbleUpon, Reddit, YouTube, and LinkedIn) saw their shares decline by more than 24%.”
Video marketing becomes a powerful weapon
Social logins stay loyal to Facebook
Holiday shopping insights
November 2014, London
Become a social business! #CSMEU is the largest and most senior meeting of social media and marketing execs, giving you unrivalled insight into how social can drive your business growth & competitive advantageBrochure Programme